Saturday, January 30, 2010

The P-Word


Ignore the happy family posts last Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. Those were set up last week to post automatically. The week really went a little something like this:
Monday, 9am: get the call from daycare that Ryan's temp is 103. Nick heads home and spends the day with Ryan. I pull in the driveway after work and the garage door is cracked and Nick is already warming up his car. I unlock the front door and he literally hands Ryan off to me and goes back into work and I was getting into bed when he came back home.
Tuesday: I stayed home with Ryan
Wednesday: Still sick, so I stayed home and brought him into the pediatrician. Diagnosis: Bronciolitis. As long as he's fever free, he's not contagious and as it's viral, there's nothing they can really give him for it. We just needed to keep an eye/ear on his breathing and bring him back in if his breathing gets worse (it was kind of wheezy/raspy.)
Thursday: back to daycare...for most of the day. Got the call from daycare around 3:45pm that Ryan's temp was 103.4. When I got to daycare, his breathing was worse so we headed straight back to the pediatrician. Met with the doctor and took some x-rays and...it's pneumonia. We started him immediately on antibiotics and we gave him lots of love and snuggles and he is headed in the right direction.
The whole week was very scary, but we are just thankful that the antibiotics seem to be working and he seems like he feels better and hasn't had a fever at all today.
This has been a tough month for us: it's only January and I've already taken a week's worth of vacation off (all for sick days) and we've weathered the stomach flu and now pneumonia. I'm hoping we've gotten all the "sick" over with for 2010. Can we possibly be that lucky?

No comments: