Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The great tSNOWnami of 2010

They had been predicting a major snowstorm for a couple of days.  And by 'they,' I mean the folks that Nick affectionately refers to as the 'weather terrorists.'  You know, the media that incite fear in the hearts of innocent Minnesotans, and take under the table deals from grocers, liquor stores, and gas stations because the events they predict cause people to rush to the store in a panicked state.  I get totally sucked in, which drives Nick completely crazy.  I check the weather several times a day, have the app on my phone, and never miss my 6:15pm date with Belinda Jensen every night.  I caught plenty of grief for being one of those countless followers that made a run for supplies on Friday--it was packed at Byerly's and the liquor store.  However, he didn't complain when I made his favorite shrimp pasta for dinner with a nice bottle of wine!  We were all stocked and waited for the onslaught.
By Ryan's 6am wake-up call Saturday morning, the backyard looked like this.
Nick braved the elements so the driveway was clear enough to get to breakfast with Santa.  We have never been more thankful for four-wheel drive!  It was nasty out there and we were so glad that we lived close to the festivities.  One of the problems/benefits with living where we do is that the plows come by often.  It was snowing like crazy while we were visiting with St. Nick, plus the plows came by, which led to a huge drift at the bottom of the driveway--so big that we couldn't get into the driveway when we got home!  I suggested that we just park on a nearby street and walk through the snow...which Nick took as a challenge to his manhood.  Before I knew it, we were taking a loop around the block and we were going to ram the pile and force our way through the mess into the driveway.  I went on the record that I felt that was a bad idea, but it worked and were home safe and sound (and warm and dry) within seconds.  Sunday morning, however, we found car parts that used to be under the car...and are now no longer connected.

It's hard to see in this picture how deep this pile was that was at the end of our driveway, but it was at least four feet deep.

Lone tracks up the long driveway.

This was the backyard by mid-afternoon.

Poor Dixie had a hard time getting through the snow to take care of some personal issues.

Just a few hours after we got home, you couldn't even tell we'd gone out.

This was the sight when I opened the front door!

Uh...how do we get out?

By dinnertime, you couldn't even see the fire pit in the backyard!  We spent a little time out playing in the snow, but more of the day was spent in front of the fireplace and Christmas tree, which was fine by me!

No comments: