Thursday, April 16, 2009

Two "firsts" and the dreaded phone call



Ryan had two "firsts" last night. He used his high chair for the first time (we just have a booster seat instead of a big high chair since we're a little tight on space) and he ventured into the world of fruits. Last night he ate rice cereal mixed with the delicious flavors of pear baby food! Maybe I'll channel the "granola, tree-hugger" inside me and try to make my own baby food sometime from scratch. I'm sure it's healthier and cheaper. For now, we're going to go with what Nick picked up at the store the other night. Mmmmm...Earth's Best Organic.

The dreaded phone call. Every parent dreads it from the moment they enter the world of daycare. "Um, hi, Lisa? Yeah, Ryan has a fever of 101.3 and anything higher than 101 means he needs to go home. Oh, and he can't come back to daycare until he's been temperature-free for 24 hours without Tylenol. I'm so sorry, I hate to make this call." Lovely. It's not like I'm doing brain surgery here, but of course it happens when one of my biggest clients is trying to get on the air with a new television campaign NEXT WEEK and I'm wheelin' and dealin' trying to move mountains to make that happen. Well, gotta drop everything and take care of the little bugger. I rushed right home to my sick little squirt and he did look a little rough around the edges. Sure enough, he had a temp, stuffy nose, his eyes were pretty glassy, and I know he'd slept most of the morning. The poor gals at daycare felt awful about having to call me, but I couldn't concentrate at work anyways knowing he wasn't feeling well. I rushed home because that's what moms do! A visit to the doctor and a dose of Tylenol later and he seems to be doing better. Luckily I could work from home because he slept most of the day away. I think he's feeling better and hopefully he continues on the road back to good health. Tomorrow if we get that dreaded call again...it's daddy to the rescue!

No comments: