Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Nine Months Old Today!





This month Ryan is 19lbs, 7oz (25th percentile) and 29.75 inches tall (90th percentile). He's just like my brothers, tall and skinny. His head is 17.5 inches, which is the 30th percentile. Here are some 9 month happenings:
* The theme of the last month: we're on the move! It started with rolling wherever he wanted to go, then graduated to the army crawl, then finally last weekend he started consistently crawling all over the place. Nick affectionately refers to him as "Dennis the Menace" because he is into EVERYTHING! Luckily he's not super confident in his abilities, so he's usually pretty easy to catch if he's starting to get into something.
* We've finally started baby-proofing the house. You could literally spend a fortune on all the gadgets and locks (toilet seat cover locks, refrigerator locks, oven locks, door locks, cabinet and drawer locks, outlet plugs...the list goes on and on and it's not cheap!) The bottom line is that you cannot possibly baby proof everything and I wouldn't even want to...sometimes you have to learn the hard way. I'm definitely not a mom that thinks if he's in Little League and his team comes in 15th place that they should still get a trophy. Sorry if that's harsh!
* Loves his sippy cup and brings it everywhere he goes. That's been lucky for us because he's been battling a terrible case of tummy troubles and I've felt better with him constantly swigging off the sippy (Pedialyte or water.) It's been a week of sickness, but last night was his first really good night, so I think (hope) he's on the mend!
* Now is able to wave "bye-bye" and give high fives. He was getting really good at giving Dixie biscuits, but the last couple of days he hasn't really dug it anymore.
* Is just like his mother: crabby as heck if he's hungry, but the second you feed him all of a sudden he's in the best mood ever, smiling and coo-ing. It's a night and day difference, happens immediately, and is pretty funny to watch. He's been really good at eating, but lately it's only been rice cereal, bananas, or applesauce. He loves puffs and Cheerios, pretty much anything he can feed himself.
* As you saw in the last video, he still loves the exersaucer. We've really gotten our money out of that contraption. He likes to run really fast and then stop and look up at you all dizzy like "whoa--that was awesome"
* Now has three teeth and loves to chew/bite things. That includes people.
* Still seems like he's a lefty, or "south paw". (New phrase I learned that apparently everyone else on the planet knows.)
* Loves other kids (no, that is not an announcement!), but is definitely happy to see Mom when I pick him up every night at daycare.
* Now that he's mobile, Dixie is running for her life. She's done really well with him and has been so patient with the hair-pulling, hitting, and biting. When she really can't tolerate it anymore, she just gets up and leaves.
* I don't know what it is about kids and things they can't have, but among his favorite things are mom/dad's cell phone, remote controls, and the VCR. It's like he gets super speed when he spots one of those items, but I'm still one second faster (for the time being...)
* I feel like I keep saying "this is the best age" wherever he's at, but we are really having so much fun with him. His personality is really coming out and he's so interactive. Happy 9-month birthday, baby boy!

No comments: